NOTE: This Windows application should be written in C#. A knowledge of HTML, XHTML, and CSS is required. A pre-existing knowledge of the ePub format is desirable, but not required, as it is not a difficult format to learn.
I've written, in PHP, a web-based application that takes "HTML, Filtered" output from Word and converts it to ePub and Kindle files. It does not meet all of my needs, however, and I believe a Windows-based desktop solution would be preferable.
I am concerned, however, that the program will need updating in the future as the ePub standard changes, so I would like to be in a position to make small modifications as needed. I would therefore like to be involved in the development process. I am willing to learn to use C# to the extent necessary to maintain the application. I realize that "allowing" a client access to code is difficult for developers--I don't like doing it myself with my own projects--so I need to work with someone who is willing to do this. I also need to work with someone who understands the need for extensive and descriptive comments in code.
This program should do the following (not a complete list):
* Allow a user to import a Word-generated HTML file and convert it to a ePubCheck-valid ePub file, followed by a Kindle .mobi file (using Kindlegen).
* Allow a user to import an existing ePubCheck-valid ePub file and make modifications to both the metadata (using a form) and the content (using a built-in WYSIWYG editor).
* Allow a user to generate separate [url removed, login to view] files for the ePub and .mobi versions (.mobi presently allows only two TOC levels).
* The Word-generated HTML files that will be parsed will be very well formatted using Word's "Styles" feature--the CSS will, for the most part, be generated, but will need to be edited for better functionality. There should be functionality to make these changes. Additionally, the ePub and .mobi files will require two slightly different CSS files.
* The Word-generated HTML files will have some problems, such as lists formatted in HTML as paragraphs, rather than using the UL and OL tags. These issues will need to be resolved in the conversion process.
I've tried using Jutoh, a program similar to what I'm trying to create, and it has not produced the desired results. I have also used Calibre, and it inserts a great deal of undesirable code into the revised books. It is necessary to produce an absolutely clean ePub file which passes ePubCheck and cleanly converts to .mobi (with adjustments to certain files).
Please elaborate, in your proposal, on any experience you have had in the areas necessary to produce this result, including any experience you have in parsing HTML and/or CSS.
21 freelancers are bidding on average $1865 for this job
Hello I'm interesting your project very well I'm a Good Java, EPUB, Algorithm expert. I m quite well experienced in these jobs. Let's go ahead with me I want to service for you continously. Thanks
Hello, my name is George Bouris. Some years ago, I had built a SGML to ePUB converter, so I have some good experience on this aspect. And I have good knowledge on C#, which looks a good fit for this project..