Hiring Writer for Children’s Book Series:
We are starting the beginning phase of hiring a writer for our first series of Children’s Books for a new online start up.
Scope of Project:
- 5-Book Series
- Approximately 10 pages each book. Approximately 50 words per page. (Total 500 words) (please note these are rough approximations)
We are looking for:
- Consistent character(s) throughout the 5 books, however all stories are unrelated and different (not dependent on one another to make sense as books will be sold both individually and as a set, ie. ‘The Bernstein Books’)
- Clever, funny, exciting, adventurous stories appropriate for 0-5 year olds. Reading Level comparable to that of the classic Robert Munsch books (see link below for examples)
[login to view URL]
- Genre - Stories must NOT be written in rhyme as stories will be translated into various languages.
- Books will be ultimately produced as bilingual picture books
- Stories should be as culturally neutral as possible to suit the multicultural audience of bilingual children/families – our vision is of ‘non human’ characters as to not give any specific race, culture etc. (ie. such as Minions Monster’s Inc Animaniacs A Bug’s Life Sesame Street or any animal cartoon character - just to give a few examples) The illustrations will ultimately be done by a professionally hired illustrator, but this needs to be kept in mind when writing content of course.
- Original Books are to be written in English
- We want to allow freedom to the writer to create the stories, yet we expect the writer will provide necessary revisions as requested before accepting final project as completed.
- Timeline of delivery to be discussed.
- This is a ‘work-for-hire’ contract: all ownership and copyrights will belong to us upon completion of the job, yet writer will be rightfully named as author on any published material (digital or hard copy)
- This book series is the first of many to come. There will be many repeat offers available to authors who produce books we are happy with.
Applicants must provide:
- Relative sample writings from his/her portfolio, if not possible please contact us to discuss this
- In agreeance with all terms of the written contract and able to provide signed contract upon hiring. (All potential applicants will have adequate time to review contract before accepting position)
- Budget is open to discussion based on feedback from applicant writers. Please contact us if you are interested in this position but would like to discuss the budget.