This is intended to be used as a screensaver-type application (like SETI@HOME, eg) that uses a client's unused computer time for the purpose of monitoring server uptime and webpage changes.
I need a desktop app that, when the client's computer is idle and goes into screensaver mode, does the following:
1. Requests a file (from a constant URL) containing instructions in XML format;
2. Uses the instructions in that XML file to get, ping or traceroute a domain/ip/url. (In other words, the XML file contains both the ACTION to perform (ie, ping, get or traceroute) AND the TARGET upon which to conduct that action (eg, an IP, domain or URL).
3. When the app has finished performing the set of instructions contained in the XML file, it uploads the resulting content to a server.
4. The app repeats the process, starting with step 1.
5. When the computer is active again, the process aborts.
That's the high-level overview of the app, but please read the attached spec sheet which contains more details of the app's functionality.
I don't have any preference for the language used, but here
are some considerations:
* it should be an exe or other self-extracting file that
the user can download, and that doesn't require the user to
do anything special to install;
* The application should work on all modern version of Windows;
* The application should be written in a language that does
not permit access to its source code;
* The users of this application will be relative newbies, so
the application should be written in a language that does not
require additional components and/or libraries to work.